

Present:

Person 1
Person 2
Person 3
Person 4
Person 5
Person 6
Person 7
Person 8
Person 9
Person 10
Person 11
Person 12
Person 13
Person 14

By Proxy:

Person 15
Person 16
Person 17
Person 18
Person 19
Person 20
Person 21
Person 22
Person 23
Person 24
Person 25
Person 26
Person 27
Person 28
Person 29
Person 30
Person 31

Boards Present:

XXX:

Des van Binnebeke (online)
Eva van der Kooij
Bente Heydelberg
Nóra Pátrovics

XXXI:

Alexandre Dumez
Iulia Lazar
Feiyang Li
Ana García-Casillas
Kenza el-Mansouri
Aditree Amin
Yuvan Gupta

1. opening

The General Assembly is opened at

2. Announcements/Received documents

No received documents

3. Establishing agenda

4. Establish voting committee

Person 1 and Ana

12 in person, 2 online and 16 proxies

29 people in total

5. Voting minutes General Assembly: Policy Presentation Board 31

With 29 votes in favor the Minutes are accepted.

6. Policy 2023-2024 explanation

Alex: As you can see we are bringing back the cooking committee, which we will talk about later as well. The preface, committee composition and friends of Itiwana is the same structure. For the evaluation, we do not want to reinvent everything, so we want to build on what previous boards have already established. We also want to make sure this year that board members are taken care of.

Alex: We are going to focus on these pillars specifically this year. We are focusing on Accessibility. It is broad, but that is on purpose. We want for example to make traveling to activities more accessible, this relates to economic accessibility. We also want to be accessible on the digital sphere.

nora joins, 30 people in total voting

Person 1: For point 5, are you adding people earlier then?

Alex: It will not be a systematic system, we want to add someone when they are interested, as it can be quite a commitment.

Person 1: in point 6 you use the term evergreen, what is your idea with it?

Yuvan: A post that doesn't lose value. A post about an activity is not useful anymore after the event happens, and we want to make media that can be used over and over again. It has to be playable content.

Person 1: I love the idea, I think it needs to be elaborated on.

Alex: Our next pillar is going to be affinity. We want to create a connection between Itiwana and the members. We want members to join more events, and not just join one and never come back. This can be seen in point 13, as it can get more members involved, also from the different years.

Person 1: Do you have a concrete plan on how to do point 11.

Yuvan: Through social channels, like whatsapp or instagram polls. We want to give people more opportunity to let them decide what kind of activities they want to see.

Alex: This will not take over or override anything from the General Assembly

Person 1: I would also elaborate on this and explain how you want to do it. I would put in more examples.

Bente: For point 12, how are you planning on doing this, are you doing this for multiple years? because it can be hard scheduling wise.

Kenza: We are going to see how well they are received, we want to replace one of the hok hours to this, and see how popular it is with the different years.

Ana: We also asked the PopCorner to collaborate on this with us.

Kenza: There will be weekly sessions after that as well.

Person 2: There are names on the WOM that should not be there from board 29. Then for accessibility point one, have you thought about the consequences of implementing this on the amount of money the committees are going to receive?

Alex: We want to make sure that international students are able to join as well, even though they need to pay for public transport. I have been talking to the institute about getting more money to help us with this as well.

Person 2: for point 11, how will this work?

Alex: We want to give people who are not able to join the General Assembly the opportunity to still give input.

Person 2: the board number for the cooking committee needs to be board 28.

1 more proxy, 31 votes in total

Chair personal part

Alex: I want to get a new coffee machine for the Hok.

Ana: current students said they would come regularly to the Hok if there's coffee.

Bente: Who will pay for the coffee?

Feiyang: people will have to buy more, or we can buy it in bulk. We will buy it on black friday. It will be bought from the office budget.

Alex: Point 7 of affinity, I want to promote activities outside of the regular group chat and Instagram. When I know a lot of people are interested in a topic I will reach out to them personally.

Person 2: For accessibility point two, I am not sure if it's feasible like this. Some activities like the big trip are just really expensive. Maybe you can restate it as "I will try to", because I am not sure if it is possible in the way it is stated right now.

Alex: My solution would be to at least strive to make it as accessible as possible.

Ana: I know that there was a grant for last year, and I already think that we were able to make the trip as accessible as possible compared to other associations. Also the Prom, it is the main consideration to make it as accessible as possible.

Alex: This is also why I think activities have to be free, but we want to make it more accessible through the association.

Person 1: I think it is amazing that you want to do it, but you are setting yourself up for failure, so I would try to phrase it as 'trying to'.

Person 2: I still think that if you say it like this it is not possible to follow through on this, as it would already not work if one student is not able to join an activity. I would just phrase it differently.

Secretary personal part

Iulia: I will be the link between everyone. I will try to make the contact point as clear as possible. I will also encourage the use of english in conversations. I will also try to write clear minutes. The most important thing for me would be the cooking committee as I think it is a great tool for building community.

Eva: should point 7 be moved to the committee part?

Person 1: I think it is fine as long as it is something that you are doing, but if it is the committee doing it, then it should be moved.

Person 2: For point 5, do you mean the General Assembly minutes or the minutes of the board meetings?

Iulia: I mean the General Assembly minutes. I am not sure about the board meetings.

Person 2: You have to publish the minutes of the General Assembly anyway, so if you are not doing anything to them, you can leave it out. For point 7, I would add the ICA too, so you can say it about all your committees

Person 3 enters, 32 votes in total.

Treasurer personal part:

Feiyang: I want to have more regular meetings with the chair and vice-treasurer. I also want to finish the Triodos transfer.

Person 1: So when are we switching banks?

Bente: I had to put more people on the application and I did not know until months later. So now we need to see if I am still finishing or whether Feiyang should start over. Now I do not know if I can be discharged from the board if I am still in the process of switching boards?

Person 2: Yes that is fine, then Bente is just an external person for the board and she could be discharged. She can just not make any decisions about the money anymore.

Feiyang: I want to make sure there is enough money for each committee. I will also keep my board members in the loop about our financial situation.

Person 1: At point 7, you say 'them', but you need to clarify who 'them' are. Also for point 5, you state that you will allocate money to iti-drinks and hok hours and committees which is your general task. Also there is not really a budget for the iti-drinks. You need to put it in a way that relates to your personal policy.

Alex: We were talking about letting the cooking committee make cookies for the drinks, so that is where the money would go.

Bente: Then it should come out of the cooking committee budget.

Ana: It is also expensive to drink at a bar, so is it possible to go to someone's house and drink there so it is cheaper?

Person 1: It is a really cool idea, but you need to put this in the point. You need to put in concrete steps on how you will achieve this. It needs to be rephrased.

Feiyang: I want to ensure proper training for the treasurers of the committees. I also want to be clear on my role as confidential contact person and be easily accessible.

Person 1: I think points 12 and 14 can be combined into one point. Also point 9, 10 and 11 are all about informing the treasurers of the committees, so you can combine the details into one point as well.

Person 2: Point 14 is great, will you also do this through other platforms? Like in lectures or something?

Yuvan: I want to centralize more things on the website, so it will be more used later on in the year. I will have a proposal for this later on. I also want to put the contact information in the linktree and in a post on instagram.

Person 2: You are also not consistent in using capitals for the committees, so you will have to put in capitals for all of them.

Nora: Are you also sending a message in the groupchat about the confidential contact person? board 29 did I think and that was a nice way of communicating it.

Person 1: We told people we had an open hour on Friday and we communicated that through a text. It is a nice way to let people know.

Yuvan: Some people from the first year let us know that they were a bit fed up with the amount of Itiwana texts, so I want to slow down on that a bit.

Person 1: for events I understand that, but this is something else, so you can still consider sending a text about it.

Feiyang: I am not sure about the office hours yet, I do want to make sure there is privacy. I would be the first contact to be either through email or coming up in the hok to plan a meeting. If a lot of people want to plan a meeting, I will look into office hours or something else.

Alex: If it is very busy we will of course step in as well.

Bente: And I am a confidential contact person too.

Education officer personal part:

Ana: I will also be in the Flo, that needs to be added. My main points this year would be the chair of the Education Committee and to be in contact with Index. For the Education Committee, I want to keep the price of the activities as low as possible. I will try to make sure people know where they can sign up when there is a sign up, because there is some confusion sometimes. I will also focus on creating a second hand book sale. I know it is also important to have a good relationship with Index. Of course I will continue the Thriftiwana groupchat, but I want to work on other ways to sell and buy second hand books as well. I am also working with Jan Janssen to make sure master students can also buy their books through Itiwana.

Alex: also minor and master students will be represented.

Ana: For the Education Committee I would like to look more into the skills of the people within the committee. I want to not only cater to people who see Itiwana as a fun place to hang out, but only to people who are more into the academic themes. I will also be

consulting members about topics for the activities through polls. Also collaborating will be more present this year in the Education Committee.

Alex: This is also what the institute is interested in.

Ana: this means that people can also meet people from outside their study and still have academic discussions.

Person 1: a lot of points are still pretty broad and vague, so if you have any ideas on how to implement them, put them in.

Alex: Like for the point with Jan Janssen, he contacted us quite recently, which is why it is not in the policy yet.

Personal part Internal affairs officer

Kenza: I will keep doing what the previous Internal Affairs Officers have done. I want to keep reflecting on what we do, by doing forms. I want to actively use them more. I want to make sure members have more opportunities to give feedback, not only through forms and talking to them. I will also talk to other board members how they are doing with the pillars in their committees.

Person 1: I like point 13, but I think it should be moved to the cooking committee, then you can still check in on them, but you already have a lot on your plate. organizing a dinner can be quite hard, like finding a location.

Kenza: I could definitely collaborate on this with the cooking committee.

Person 1: I would also suggest looking at the forms that were already there to implement it beforehand. I think polls especially work great for feedback.

Alex: We will also make sure the Sounding board dinners are being continued.

personal part external affairs officer

Aditree: I will stay in contact with the current sponsors and hopefully gain some more. I will also stay in contact with the alumni. I will send monthly newsletters to the alumni

Person 1: Are you sure you want to send the alumni newsletter every month?

Person 1: There is a line through the ten, but I am not saying anything about it. I think point 11 can be left out, as it is your general task.

Bente: It also needs to be an alumni instead of alumnus in point 4.

personal part communication officer

Yuvan: I will make sign ups and information very centralized for everything regarding Itiwana. I will also make sure that our social media reaches out to more than just our active members. We can have more reels, polls, more outreach software. I want to reformat the website to make it the Itiwana hub. If you need any information regarding Itiwana it will be on the website. For the affinity pillar, I want to create a more interactive environment where members can be involved in Itiwana's decision making process. Also if I hear people talking about a festival of another culture in the hok or somewhere else I want to incorporate this in our newsletters and posts.

Person 1: I feel like your points are sometimes a bit repetitive, so I would go over it and check. Also if you have a specific way in which you are going to achieve a point and put them in as well.

Yuvan: I will talk about this more later as well for my proposal, also a proposal for an app we can use within Itiwana.

Person 1: if you can't add the part on the app in the policy, you can add it in the midterm evaluation as a new point.

Person 2 left, 31 votes in total.

Alumni and Acquisition Committee

Aditree: We will create accessible activities for alumni. For affinity we will organize activities where current members and alumni can meet. I will work with sponsors to help support Itiwana activities.

Person 1: I think you can take point 5 out, as it is in your general policy. Also make sure all sentences end with a full stop.

Activities Committee:

Kenza: For the beginning of the year we want to make sure people talk to people they have not met yet. We will make sure that all sign up forms will include the question: is there anything we need to do to make this activity more accessible for you? We want to organize activities for everyone, as diverse as possible. Like the study session.

Person 1: For point 9, I think it should either be under your personal part, or it should only talk about this committee. Then for point 5, I like it, do you want to do it for all activities?

Kenza: I want to do it for my activities but I would encourage the other board members to do the same.

Person 1: Then I would put it in the general policy.

Nora: How are you going to match people up?

Kenza: We will randomly match them up based on the sign up.

Cooking committee:

Iulia: Food bonds, is what we noticed during the first year's dinners. I suck at cooking and maybe more students are struggling with cooking, while others have figured it out already, and we can learn from each other. We will make it open for a certain number of people, as we do not have a fixed place. We will also collaborate with the Media Committee, as we will work on the recipe of the month and we can make videos for the youtube channel.

Bente: You are mentioning the collaboration on the recipe of the month with the Media Committee, I think you should put it in the policy.

Person 1: Is it a collaboration with Yuvan or with the media committee?

Yuvan: it will be a collaboration with the media committee, I will be an advisory member of the cooking committee as well.

Education committee:

Ana: for accessibility, I want to make sure we have dinner together with the committee members as it is a bonding activity for the committee to get to know each other. We will always try to reach out to new students and different people, making activities as open as possible. For affinity I want to make sure there is a space for everyone to say their ideas. I am also interested in continuing the collaboration with other studies.

Person 1: I think in like four points you say we will 'try', you can just take the word out and you are golden. Sometimes it is useful, but for example if you say we will try to collaborate, then just trying is enough, but if you say you will do it, you can say at the end of the year whether you actually did it or did not. With Alex's point earlier, without putting the word 'try' in it was already going to fail for sure. It is a fine line to distinguish when to use it and when to leave it out.

First Years Committee:

Alex: I will be the guide of the First Years Committee. I want to have an internal democracy within the committee, as I am not going to have the final say in what is going to happen with the committee, it is totally up to the committee themselves.

Person 1: What about the non-members?

Alex: They do not hold any power, but we want to make sure they can give their input.

Person 1: You do need to be careful with the input from non Itiwana members, in relation to the bylaws, so I would check that.

Bente: I also noticed that not everyone during the First Years Weekend not everyone is a member yet, so I would think about that, as the association is organizing activities for members. I think it is great that you want non-members to give their opinions, but keep in mind that Itiwana is for the members.

Alex: We will be careful, we mostly want to make sure that their voices are heard in order for them to get involved and eventually become members.

Person 1: We are not disagreeing with you, we just want you to keep in mind the financial aspect and the bylaws.

ICA committee:

Iulia: The ica has two editions each year, and the second one is printed. I want to make sure that we know who wants an ICA and who doesn't so we don't print to many.

Bente: There is already a system in place to make sure of that.

Iulia: I want to meet each week to keep on track of creating both editions. I also want to use the ICA instagram more this year. We also want to create more space for students to collaborate on the ICA.

Person 1: The first point is a bit all over the place, so it needs some rephrasing.

Media committee:

Yuvan: I want to continue what Bente started. I want to add the collaboration with the cooking committee and I want to make the podcast more accessible.

Bente: You don't mention the movie nights, do you want to continue it? I also want to say that you need a strong committee for this, so make sure you have committed people who are motivated.

Yuvan: I want to take clips out of the podcasts to put on instagram.

Bente: You could also decide to put it on Spotify but then you need to look into how that works.

Yuvan: I also want to maybe transcribe the podcasts for people who would rather read what is being said on the podcasts. We will also make sure the recipes are vegetarian or vegan, or at least have an option to make them that. I also want to kick start the visual library on the website this year. I also want to include members' input on themes.

Aditree: In the photo committee policy we said we were going to collaborate, maybe put it in here as well.

Person 1: how much work is it to transcribe the podcast?

Yuvan: There is software in place that can transcribe it for us.

Bente: At point 7 you say I, so if you want it to be a committee task it should say we.

Photo Committee:

Aditree: We will make sure everyone will participate in the activities and not always have to have to take photos. We will also focus on consent. We will also take more group photos instead of individual shots. We also want to put some photos in the hok.

Bente: I would change the 'try' to you will. and in point 3 and 5 you can change the structure of the sentences.

Survival Committee:

Feiyang: We will try to keep it at the same price as previous years for the trips. I want to let the Dutch and international students mingle. We will also make sure the travel methods will fit the needs of the members.

Person 1: I have a question about point 4, what will that entail?

Feiyang: We will include it in the sign up, to see what they want to do. I will put it in the policy.

Bente: I would keep in mind that for the hitchhiking weekend that people like to join for the hitchhiking part, but then just do something on their own, so keep that in mind. For the survival weekend it is definitely fun to have a bunch of activities.

Person 1: define your ideas in your policy, because you have great ideas for the committee.

Travel Committee:

Kenza: For accessibility, I think we should stress that we can make accommodations for members when needed and keep the price as low as possible. We also want to create activities to raise money that can go to the trip. I also want to talk to previous committee members to see what went well and what can be improved on. I also want to make sure the committee members can bond during activities before going on the trip. I want the trip to include education as well as non-education activities.

Lustrum committee:

Yuvan: We want to organize fun and interactive activities throughout the year, but mostly clustered in one week. We want to organize a wide variety of activities to cater to all members. At this point all lustrum members are already close to Itiwana which I want to keep. I also want to make sure everyone's voice is heard within the committee.

Bente: There needs to be a space between the introduction and the accessibility. and we talked about creating an Almanak, so I would include that in the policy.

Yuvan: We will organize several activities, we will also do a theater group.

Person 1: I think that should be included in the policy as it is quite a big thing. Another thing about internal democracy, I think it is great, but how will you do it?

Alex: For the Lustrum Committee we have the idea that it is hard to create more affinity between the members and Itiwana, but we want them to make sure they are feeling like their voices are heard. We can be critical of ourselves.

Yuvan: We can be using feedback within the committees, like an anonymous form to see if they feel like their voice is being heard, that is how we could implement it.

Budget:

Feiyang: We currently do not have a budget, because of some bank issues from ASN. I will be presenting my budget during the Change of Boards General Assembly.

Person 1: I want to make a proposal for this. Because the budget is tied to the budget, this means that we can technically not vote in favor of this policy. The only way we can vote on this policy in a helpful manner would be to vote on this policy under the condition that the budget will be presented and voted in, during the Change of Boards General Assembly. This means that if the budget is not accepted, neither will the policy.

Bente: what happened with the bank, it was not in my name, and I had to get that fixed, I missed one step, and they informed me after the summer, now it will take another five working days, but then I can make an advisory budget and then Feiyang can make the final budget. I can even send it to the A-team to make sure it is perfect.

Person 1: Of course all board members have a say in the budget, but it is Feiyang who has the final say.

Voting for the policy:

2 votes in favor
10 votes withholding
19 against

The policy of board XXXI is not accepted.

Now we vote on the proposal that:

Under the condition that the comments are included in the policy and under the condition that the budget will be presented and accepted at the Change of Boards General Assembly.

With 31 votes in favor, the motion that under the condition that the comments are included in the policy and under the condition that the budget will be presented and accepted at the Change of Boards General Assembly.

WDO

Person 3: This is our policy. We are a study association and sister association from Itiwana, which means we will get money from Itiwana. We have planned some activities and monthly themes and activities. We also have our Lustrum year this year. We will have a trip and a symposium for example. Our lustrum theme is language. This year we are also including a new board position, which will be Holly, who will take care of the archive and digitize it. We also added a code of conduct this year, after some complaints about a member, and we wanted to make sure we have our own policy on this. We want to make sure to be an inclusive space.

Bente: what is your plan to implement it?

Person 3: We will make sure both sides are heard and if we deem necessary we will remove that person from the online and offline platforms of WDO.

Nora: Will you remove them as a member?

Person 3: That is hard, as people who are Itiwana members are WDO members, but they are no longer welcome at WDO spaces.

Alex: Will we be informed as Itiwana about this as well?

Person 3: Yes of course.

Bente: But it is harder for Itiwana to kick someone out of Itiwana, as it needs to go through a general assembly.

Person 4: This is our budget, the only thing that is important for now is what we get from Itiwana. Most of our money will go to the trip in November. In September we had two activities so there is a bit more budget there. I also added an accuracy column in the budget, so we are able to evaluate how we are doing with budgeting. This makes it easier to plan the budget for future events.

Bente: I see that you have about 2000 in savings and your surplus is 500, does that come out of the savings?

Person 4: It is part of the savings.

Person 1: I also have another question, if you stick to your budget, you have 1500 left in your savings, what do you want to use it for if not for the lustrum?

Person 4: We want to make sure that we can be flexible with the budget in regards to the trip and whether we will get money from Itiwana or not and if we are a study association or not.

Person 3: I was also thinking about asking for funding from the university, would that intervene with Itiwana?

Bente: probably, that is also the issue with StoP.

Person 1: They will not fund both associations, so then we will have to balance it out which I am not sure will work out for both of us.

Alex: I also have a question about whether WDO is a study association as there was some internal question about it.

Person 4: There is no internal question about it, it is all external.

Person 1: For WDO to become an official study association they would have to register at the chamber of commerce, that would be the only way to get the funding from the University, but that does not take away the fact that the WDO can call itself a study association.

Website Motion:

Yuvan: I want to make the website easier to access and be the center for Itiwana. I want to change the homepage into a slideshow with event sign ups and book sales and such. I will also change the mobile version, it does not translate well and I want to make it better. I also want to include the CCP on their own page, as well as on almost every other page. I also want to add the visual library and I want to make it very clean. I also want to get a separate revamp members page. It will be a sub-site where people can login where the photos can be found.

Person 1: Are you going to make sure that the person making an account on that revamp members page is a member of Itiwana?

Bente: Normally we would use Mediawana for our photos, are you going to link it to that page? And I think the visual library should be public on the website. Do we need to pay extra for the extra website?

Yuvan: Yes then just Mediawana will be linked to that page. We will not have to pay extra for making an extra page.

Voting on implementing the new changes to the website.

With 31 votes in favor, the motion is accepted.

Application Motion:

Yuvan:momo is an app for study associations to connect people. It has multiple groups and we can have our separate Itiwana group, we can put our activities on the map and then more people can see it on their map that others are going. Each member who joins our app gets

their own business card on the app and that way they can share contact information. Everything will be centralized in the app and it helps us to connect with our alumni.

Alex: How much do we trust this app?

Yuvan: I saw the privacy statement and it looks legit. There is also not too much personal information in it either.

Person 1: Can you share the privacy statement somehow?

Bente: I think we need more people present to vote on this.

Person 1: What I think you should do is put this proposal together with the privacy statement, and then send it with the documents for the next General Assembly. I think we need more time to think about this.

Alex: We might not use it for sensitive information at first, but once we use it more and more and depend on it, it might make us dependent on it in the future.

Yuvan: If we were going to use this app, I think we would try it out for a year first to see if it works for Itiwana.

Bente: I think we should discuss it later and invite the creator during a GA to see if everyone is okay with this.

Person 1: I want to say that I am very proud of you, I would have accepted it if the budget would be there, you did great work.